How to Naturally Straighten Hair, effectively!
Have you ever wondered if there was a way to naturally straighten your hair without using any heat? Thankfully, it is possible, and the process is quite simple. An easy way to keep your hair looking straight, while also keeping it healthy, is by using a coconut milk mask.
Coconut milk has a lot of fiber, fat, and vitamin E in it, which makes it an excellent source of moisture. When you add ingredients like olive oil and lemon juice to the mix, you can make a mask that will not only moisturize, but also relax your hair to help it lay straighter.
Here is how you can make this hair mask at home.
Assemble the necessary ingredients.
- To make the mask, you will need one cup of coconut milk, two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, three tablespoons of cornstarch, and four tablespoons of lemon juice.
- If you dye your hair, you may want to leave out the lemon juice, as it will cause the color to fade much quicker.
Combine the ingredients
- Start by whisking together the coconut milk and olive oil in a saucepan.
- In a different bowl, mix three tablespoons of cornstarch with four tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Then, add the lemon juice mixture to the coconut mixture and stir over medium heat.
- Continue to whisk the mixture until it thickens. Once it reaches the consistency of a conditioner, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool before you use it.
Apply the mixture to your hair
- Using your fingers, apply the mixture all over your hair. Make sure that it is distributed evenly and that your hair is coated thoroughly.
Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- After you have applied the coconut milk mask, cover your hair with a shower cap. By covering your hair, you are retaining heat and thus helping to relax your curls.
Apply minimal amounts of heat to covered hair
- Use a hair dryer on the lowest setting possible to warm up your hair.
- You can also put a damp towel in the microwave and wrap it around your head if you prefer not to use a hair dryer.
Wash hair with a gentle shampoo and conditioner
- Wash out the coconut milk mask in the shower and use a shampoo that is free of sulfates and parabens to wash your hair.
- After washing your hair, follow with a good conditioner.
Comb your hair
- Use a wide tooth comb to remove any tangles within your hair.
- Comb it until it is lying as straight as you would like it.
Dry your hair
- You can let your hair air dry, but if you'd prefer a faster method, you can use the cool setting of your blow dryer
This method of hair straightening will keep your hair healthy and smooth, while still giving you the straight look you desire. Though, it is quite natural but you will not get that flat iron straightening look and feel.
Interested in buying flat iron? Then, read our best hair straightener reviews here.